Wednesday 20 May 2015

Shoehorning Windows 10 onto a MacBook

It literally is as the title suggests…

I thought I'd be clever by doing it but, so far, everything has worked against me.

Firstly, when I ran bootcamp I got an error saying my USB thumbstick needed to be FAT formatted even though it is FAT formatted.

Then, after pointing to the Windows 10 x64 ISO in Boot Camp, I get an error about it needing to be "Windows 7 or higher ISO", and then after a couple more attempts: "It needs to be a x64 ISO for this type of machine" error message, despite that fact that the ISO is 64bit and there would be no reason for there to be a mixture of x64 and x86 components in the image because Microsoft only offer two types - x64 and x86 so why would they make the x64 ISO mixed ffs!!

Hm, perhaps the ISO is corrupt? I do a openssl sha-1 check of the ISO via terminal, it returns a match to the same hash value next to the x64 ISO listed on Microsoft's website... so the ISO is good.

So I go into work the next day and try again on my iMac, think maybe the ISO is faulty and I need to try one downloaded via a wired ethernet connection but it fails to work on that one either, except that this time it's mainly the "Windows 7 or higher…" error message. So my thinking is that OSX 10.8 and 10.9 versions of Boot Camp - on my works' iMac and home MacBook respectively - don't recognise a Windows 10 ISO properly.

So my next step is to bypass Boot Camp and create a bootable Windows 10 installation on a USB thumbstick using Windows 10 running as a VM in Fusion on my works' iMac.

So I get the ISO copied over and put in a folder on C:, fire up "Diskpart" command in an elevated command prompt, I put my thumbstick into the Mac's USB port, Fusion prompts "which system do you want to connect the drive?" I choose "Windows" … and guess what, Windows 10 doesn't recognise the drive… at all.

aaaarrrrgghhh!!

Next up - upgrading my MacBook to Yosemite… I don't want to do it but when needs must. My thinking is that Boot Camp in Yosemite may be patched to recognise a Windows 10 ISO.

I am really fucking hating this prompt...