Wednesday 20 May 2015

Shoehorning Windows 10 onto a MacBook #2

This is an update to my previous blog entry about 'shoehorning' Windows 10 onto my MacBook...

SUCCESS!! After updating to Yosemite I was finally able to get Boot Camp to recognise the Windows 10 x64 ISO and begin the process of copying the installation onto a USB stick.

To recap, the problem I had was that I could not get Boot Camp in OS X 10.8 or 10.9 to recognise the ISO, it would simply error and say it needed a "Windows 7 or higher ISO" to work. Makes sense really as Windows 10 wasn't out when either of those two OS's were released whereas Yosemite is more actively being developed by Apple, they probably would have patched Boot Camp appropriately.

I'm glad I did this rather than try some of the ugly sounding hacks people were posting, especially the one that potentially breaks Boot Camp.

So folks, if you want to use Boot Camp to kick off a Windows 10 install use version 5.1.4 (500).