Thursday 7 May 2015

More IT Facepalm

One of our PC's at work fell over recently, we came in to see no image on the monitor and all the fans inside running at high RPMs.

After some troubleshooting I got it back up and running, it's an old PC which we use as a RIP workstation for one of our printers. I've got a backup RIP system I can switch to so it wasn't an immediate panic to get it up and running.

I suspected that it was either temperature or voltage that caused the problem so I went about delving into the depths of Intel's website to find some hardware logging software that was compatible with the PC's motherboard.

After a few failed attempts to find the right version I found LANDesk v6, which made sense as the motherboard for this PC is, after all, a server spec board.

So I install it, configure it, restart the PC then launch it…. it reports everything in the green so I leave it for a day. Next day we try to process a job on it and bang! The monitor image goes off and the fans start going crazy. I then go through the process of getting our other RIP up and running as, clearly, we can't rely on it.

After I get the backup RIP working with our printer, I go back to the troublesome PC, part of my effort to get it back up and running is to remove the cover and check all the connectors inside and this time I leave the cover off. It then starts-up and boots into windows… "Great" I think, "LANDesk's log should hopefully shed some light on the problem…"

Not so, I load the log and what does it show? Read below:

"07 May 2015 11:33:59 The cover was recently removed from the computer"

…and that's it.