Saturday 30 May 2015

One man pubcrawl #6

You know it's occured to me that, sat alone in the pub as I am, I have my smartphone to keep me occupied and to help make others think I'm not some weird loner because they think I'm chatting to someone via sms (or Failbook, Twatter etc.)

I wonder what people like me did back in the time in pubs before smatphones and the Internet? Did they keep reams of newspapers on hand to pretend to read? Did they just sit there and stare, making others feel uncomfortable? Did they take a place at the bar and engage the bar staff in conversation? Did they circulate the place looking to some poor sod to corner and bore to death with talk about their hobbies? Perhaps they even got lucky and spent the night shagging? All of the above and more I suppose...

Ah who knows, or cares. I've got my pint, a comfy sofa, a pub that is not packed (so I keep my sofa), and sport on the TV that is not horse racing... and my smartphone.