Saturday 22 November 2014

Thank You Adobe

This post is dedicated to Adobe decision to go all cloudy with the Creative Suit.

Now, before you read this, I'd just like to say that I am in no way affiliated with Adobe, this isn't some sort of sponsored blog that Adobe have paid me to post. I am a gods-to-honest Adobe software user who has had his share of the joys and pains (mostly pains) of using their software, I'm not afraid to slag them off if I need to and, trust me, I've plenty of examples to prove that. I just feel that Adobe deserves my thanks this time...

I've used Adobe's apps since they first came out, back in those heady days at college using Illustrator 88 and Pagemaker 1.0 (not an Adobe app) to do our typed headlines, printing them out on a laser printer then tracing over  the printout to produce line drawing comp layouts (we were too lazy to use the grant enlarger and a Letraset catalogue, pissed our lecturers off massively!)

I've used every version of Illustrator and Photoshop since then and I've had my ups and downs with them, mostly with Illustrator, Photoshop has never really been that glitchy. During that time the one thing that pissed me off the most was being stuck with a glitch until Adobe got around to bring out a major update and then it was a case of completely removing the previous version, cleaning files and folders then installing the new version. I've spent most of my time using Adobe CS3 (I could never persuade the management at work to upgrade as it was so expensive) and was continuously jealous of ex work colleagues who cooed about how awesome CS4, CS5, CS6 was with their new features.

It soon became impractical for me to use CS3 thanks to a combination Adobe making it awkward to easily back save files and customers being too lazy/forgetful to do it when they sent us artwork to be printed, I guess I should thank Adobe for that, so I got a new Mac and we moved to Adobe Creative Cloud.

With Adobe Creative Cloud, I don't have that uninstall/reinstall pain anymore, all I do is login my Adobe ID, download the CC app, then, through the CC app download and install what I need and best of all, update each app on the fly… and Adobe DO regularly roll out updates, WAY more than when CS was sold on disk. Plus you get to keep the previous version to run alongside the new version in case you experience glitches that stop you being productive.

Now, you would argue that with more recent versions of CS Adobe made patch updates available via the Adobe Downloader and I agree that was useful but that was nowhere near as good as the new Adobe CC app for managing updates, plus Adobe didn't roll out as many for CS5 & CS6.

Managing a team is great too, just login as admin, create a user send them an invite and they need to do is follow the simple instructions in the e-mail to download the CC app and get what they need.

No more uninstalling, cleaning, installing, cursing, uninstalling, restarting, cleaning, installing… rinse repeat then silently curse the Adobe team with collective gonorrhoea.

So for those users sticking to their guns with Adobe CS6, you're missing out, take the plunge, go CC and never look back, plus I think you still get a discount for the first year if you own a legal copy.

Adobe CC app
Easily update your apps