Monday 17 November 2014

Photography 101 - Water Vole

A while ago I bought a new camera for a project I was working on for the New College Oxford, it needed to be an SLR with a lot of resolution. Actually the reason was twofold - to do that project and to start amateur wildlife photography.

I settled on a Sony SLT-A37, basically because it came top when I filtered 'by resolution' online, I admit I didn't spend a lot of time reading reams of tech specs, it was 15mpx and had detachable lenses, that's all I wanted.

Anyway the New College job went really well and I got a really good camera which I've used extensively since then. This pic is the first of many I've taken with this camera to be included in this blog.

Water Vole

I snapped this little fella whilst holidaying in Norfolk, it was nonchalantly chomping on a reed stalk and seemed completely oblivious to the humans standing nearby peering at it.

I used a telephoto lens and left the automatic shoot settings rather than faff about with the manual stuff, this was a fluid situation and there was no telling whether or not it would decide to bugger off, leaving me photoless 'cos I thought I'd be arty and get the perfect shot.

One thing I've discovered about wildlife photography: you can't set the scene, you have to do the best with what nature throws at you - right place at the right time!