Monday 5 December 2016

Reasons why I don't want to live on this planet anymore #9

People who produce artwork... in other words: Artworkers.

Are they being taught badly in college, or are they just plain lazy?

In the print and signage industry, in most circumstances I'm at the end of the creative process, in other words I'm printing the result of a collaborative effort between a customer that wants something printed, a designer/artworker who creates the prints and maybe a marketeer and a salesperson who sold the idea to the customer... anyway I digress, I get sent artwork to print...

In  most cases the artwork I receive to print, is shit. It often contains a mixture of lazy graphic 'cheats' to hide things, poor low-resolution image/effects use, no outlined fonts, ZERO bleed ('cos let's face it, adding 5mm onto the edge of your job is SO HARD) and, occasionally, ENTIRE job is just a tiny low-res image that they think will 'magically' increase in resolution when enlarged and printed!

This has gotten worse over the years, when, ironically the software to create electronic artwork has gotten easier to use! Yet people seem to see this as a way to spend as little time as possible and this isn't because they lead truly busy lifestyles that justifies their time management... for example I've seen artwork where white polygons have been positioned at the edges of a logo to 'mask' it against a white background, a method that takes longer to do than the usual masking procedure! They are simply too lazy to learn it. Or not adding bleed, they can clearly see that the graphic elements in their design touches the edges of the overall print but because they started at the edge it's now too hard to extend it out! Any designer worth their salt knows about bleed, it's not some obscure outmoded practice no-one uses anymore, in fact, it's one of the first things you learn about creating printable artwork! This is just the tip of the iceberg, to part-quote Rutger Hauer's character from Blade Runner: "I've seen things you wouldn't believe..."

So, eventually I have to spend additional time 'tidying' up their mess... why? Do you ask, do I do this? I do it because, these days, even if I speak in layman's terms to a designer about what they need to correct in their work, they don't understand and/or don't listen... it's just easier to do it myself than explain it. I've worked hard during my career to adhere to good artworking practices... so fuck you.

This, dear people, is also why it makes living on this planet a little bit shittier as the years go by.