Saturday 17 September 2016

Finally!

Finally got my gaming PC back up and running... I say 'finally' because, dear reader, there were delays since it blew a gasket on me. These delays were not caused by additional problems found, or difficulties in acquiring new parts etc. no, the delay was that I simply couldn't be arsed.

Two weeks ago my PC went tits-up and I could have got it up and running two days after that when my new SSD arrived from Amazon. However I was going through a massive case of CBA's, so much so, that I was simply felt like doing nothing but crashing in front of the TV every day when I got home from work... add to that a hectic previous weekend of boozing away from home and it resulted in a two-week delay.

But, now, finally, it's back up... and boy does it boot fast!

I've installed a Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD 480gb, put Windows 10 back on it (kudos to Microsoft for making the procedure to download and create a Windows 10 USB installer so easy) and now, after adding all my peripherals (Corsair wireless headset, Razor mouse, Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse etc.), Steam is downloading and installing my games library, except it's doing it onto a 2TB secondary SATA HD rather than the SSD... I thought it better to do that for two reasons - to keep the write-to count down on the SSD and save space as it's only 480gb.

After installing the Sandisk SSD dashboard I discovered that it's only running at 3.0gb/s rather than it's top speed of 6.0gb/s, that's a shame but can't be help as clearly my motherboard only supports that speed... it's still very quick though!

Bring on the gaming!