Tuesday 5 July 2016

True Geekdom

Last night I was happily watching a Star Trek Voyager episode (Scorpion: Part 1, one of my favourites, Netflix now has the entire series, yay!)

Whilst watching I thought I'd open an app on my smartphone that enables me to remotely check one of the large format printers I use at work as it was still printing a big job when I'd left earlier. Much to my dismay it indicated an error: 'Substrate Jam'.

"Bugger," I thought, "the printhead may be out of it's capping station and jammed against the media." It was late but I feared I'd have a sleepless night knowing that those printheads would be drying-up, becoming clogged and possibly unrecoverable.

"What would Captain Janeway do?" I thought. No, scratch that... I didn't think that at all. I jumped in my car and headed back to work. When I got there I found that the printer's printhead was back in it's capping station and that the error was down to running out of media. So no worries there...

I locked-up and headed home, via the motorway as I felt like the need for speed! Whilst on the motorway I passed a Royal Mail lorry, which reminded me that I'd been waiting for a replacement part to mend my toilet and it's delivery had been delayed by them for whatever retarded reason. "WHERE"S MY FUCKING TOILET PART YOU BASTARD!" I yelled as I passed... I'd had a stressful day and needed to get that out. Anyway I got home (albeit late), went to bed, got out my Kindle Fire tablet and spent half-an-hour lurking on 4Chan's /b/ image board. If I'd had a hot pocket and a glass of Gatoraid my geekness would have gone through the roof...

Start Trek, an app that remotely monitors printers, parts to repair a toilet and 4Chan... so goes my life.