Tuesday 1 November 2016

Bye Bye Sky

I've finally gone and done it... I've shown Sky TV a clean pair of heels and cancelled all the TV subscription ...and boy was it painful process!

I must have been on the phone for three-quarters-of-an-hour having to justify to an operator why I don't want it anymore, rough transcript below:

This is after about 10 minutes of me telling them that I'm fed-up with all the ad-breaks and that I'm not really watching Sky TV anymore because I'm Netflix and chillin' a lot...

Me: Yes, I want to cancel it all
Operator: Are you sure?
Me: Yes
Operator: Are you ABSOLUTELY sure?
Me: Yes
Operator: Because you'll end-up paying more if you want to come back again
Me: Fine, just cancel it all
Operator: Are you REALLY sure? You sound unsure?
Me: [for fucks sake] yes, I'm sure, I've deliberated over this decision for the past two months and I have made my decision to cancel it all
Operator: If you've taken that long then maybe you ARE unsure and that you'd like to think more about it?
Me: [sigh] No I've made my decision
Operator: REALLY sure? Because we can just take off some of the packages [blah blah blah... etc]
Me: [after listening patiently] No I just want to cancel it all
Operator: You won't be able to watch any content that you have store on your HD box and you won't be able to record or rewind anything, are you sure?
Me: Yes, absolutely sure
Operator: Remember that you can't come back as a new customer and benefit from any 'new customer' deals
Me: I'm aware of that
Operator: You mentioned that you like Blue Bloods, which is a Sky Atlantic exclusive, perhaps we can downgrade your add-ons so you can watch that?
Me: No thanks, I do love that show but I think I can live without it
Operator: Do you like box sets?
Me: I've got loads and no, I don't watch them via Sky
Operator: OK, how about we keep your standard Sky TV package?
Me: [steam slowly rising from the top of my head] no thanks I just want to cancel it all
Operator: Okay, we if you REALLY want to cancel [adding a tone to make me feel guilty] we'll process that for you, I just need to go through some statements to read out to you
Me: [sigh] okay

15 minutes after that conversation I peeled my mobile phone away from my ear and was able to get on with my life!

It really is like pulling teeth, I tell you that I'm actually put off getting Sky again simply to avoid the pain if I had to cancel it again!

Note to Sky: just fucking make it easier for us to cancel! We're the customers, we know what we want not you!