Wednesday 10 August 2016

Rust

You know, since I've been playing Rust I've discovered one thing: The Rust playing community is an evil, paranoid bunch.

I realise that on most sandbox MMORGs you get players who tear through the landscape with their fingers permanently on the trigger but in Rust it's a full-on epidemic. So much so, that, rather than the usual 'Do we have PVP on this server?' approach in other games, in Rust it's PVP by default and people ask 'anyone PVE-ing?'!

If you're a n00b in Rust, forget any kind of help, if you approach anyone you're shot on sight, regardless of whether you have any loot in your inventory or not! Or if you've just started a building and it only consists of a wood foundation, door and four wood walls, it get's wrecked regardless.

Rust simply does not take any prisoners, you're killed, stripped and probably cooked just for the fun of it. I wouldn't be surprised if Governments weren't using it as a 'what if' scenario on human behaviour during a holocaust!

I'm running my own server and there's been a lot of discussion about where everyone stands when it comes to PVP, and despite assurance from my admins that there's no KOS unless airdrops are happening or when the chopper is out... there just seems to be an air of... unease about the server, like they're all waiting for something bad to happen and then all hell breaks loose. I think that's inherent in Rust, it's clearly a game like no other... even DayZ comes second when it's down to paranoid shoot-on-sight gaming behaviour!

Admins seem to be generally vilified by normal players and that's because in the past Rust's 'behavioural modification' has caused many other admin players to abuse their privileges and go around rampantly killing anyone who get's in their way (I've even experienced this whilst playing on another server).

An example of this was the other evening on my server, I was flying around checking resource nodes because I'd heard of a bug related to them in the developer community. Whilst flying I 'gave' myself some items - clothes, food etc - just to tide myself over for the duration I was on. The other players on the server saw what I was doing and were instantly on the defensive, stating stuff like "admin power abuse' etc. when I had absolutely no intention of bothering them, I just wanted to check things out as an owner/admin and I used the tools available to me to do that. Admin are just not trusted!

Ah well, I guess that's the sacrifice for running your own server...