Thursday 21 January 2016

The life choices we fail to make

We've all done this: spent time reflecting on stuff we wished we'd learnt when we were younger.

For me it's three things, learning to play the piano, learning history and speaking a second language.

I just think it would be really cool to be able to walk into a pub, see a piano in the corner, stroll over to it and bang out the piano solo in Bruce Hornsby and the Range's hit song 'The Way It Is'.

Or, again, in a pub, correct people when they mention something historically inaccurate or regale them with deep historical facts. Not crappy tabloid popcorn stuff like "Queen Victoria liked her eggs scrambled' etc., but deep meaningful stuff like "I think the latter half of 15th Century was an important time as the Renaissance period was just beginning to break out of it's infancy and if it wasn't for the likes of Michelangelo we wouldn't have such stunning architecture and such detailed artistic styles we have today", beats the hell out of stuff like like "Who's going to win Strictly?" or what that bunch of retards the Kardashians are up to.

As for speaking a second language, the reason's are twofold: 1. Shows respect when abroad and 2. Know when I'm having the piss taken out of me and being able to retort back, fluently.

Yes it's a shame I'm not adept at any of those, although I like to think I have a firm grasp of our history, like others, I still find myself reaching for Google. Musically I have two left feet and as for speaking a second language I could spend an eternity asking directions to the beach and still end up getting lost!

So what can we learn about this? Well, for young people, follow your dreams and don't get distracted by the joys life throws at you (like alcohol for instance). If you do, you'll find middle age is way more interesting!