Friday 14 August 2015

The days before the Web

Ah I remember those days:

When, in conversation with someone, they took what you said as gospel instead of 'Googling' it and correcting you.

When people actually talked to each other in the pub, rather than gawping at their smartphones to check their failbook wall updates or responses to their Favourited entries in twatter.

When we could remember place names, phone numbers or shopping lists, instead of relying on the 'cloud'.

We were all so much more 'genuine' in those days, it's hard to explain what that means but the closest explanation I can come up with is we were less like drones slaved to a huge network of computers like we are today. I mean if I need to find my way around I go to TomTom on my smartphone, or if I need a friend's phone number I look it up in my address book on my smartphone/computer etc. The fact that I can look up my personal information anywhere at anytime is pretty awesome but somewhat lame at the same time because I really should be able to recall most of it without help. The Web is giving us collective lazy brains.

I know, I know, I'm sounding like some old fogey - complaining about 'new fangled computers' and 'when I were a lad...' etc. etc. but I feel qualified enough to speak up for the forty somethings in this world who knew what the modern world was like before the Web but sufficiently after gas lamps in the streets lighting the way for carts and horses. Where it was sophisticated enough for us to enjoy our leisure time but not so sophisticated in our working lives, forcing us to be proactive in order to get stuff done.

Now I'm off to download another book onto my Kindle.