Thursday 6 August 2015

and a good morning to you sir...!

Whilst headed toward work on my daily morning commute I noticed a guy walking towards me, he was dressed in typical builder's garb - hardhat, hi-vis jacket, paint-splattered cargo pants and hobnail workbooks. He had a roll-up ciggy in his mouth and carried a cup of Greggs coffee, as he passed me he said 'morning' quite loudly.

I was surprised but recovered quickly enough to mumble 'm-morning' in response before he got too far away.

I have to say that it cheered me up somewhat because usually everyone around me silently shuffles off the train looking miserable, then head en-masse through the ticket gates and disperse to their various workplaces continuing to look miserable and nary a word of how well the morning was fairing is ever spoken from anyone. Mind you it would probably get a bit grating having loads of people say 'good morning' to me every day.

This guy though, probably without a care in the world, had his nicotine and caffeine fixes and was off to go and build stuff, fair play to him! I just wish I could be like that in the morning.