Saturday 12 December 2015

A Proper Pedestrian

Recently I, as a pedestrian, I have increasingly become more attentative of the traffic lights at pedestrian crossings.

Most people cross regardless of what the lights are showing provided that there are no vehicles approaching (although I've seen some dash across at the last second, much to the driver's annoyance). I used to do this and only do it now when the road is absolutely clear at times very early in the morning.

I guess I'm too old now to be bothered doing that scuttling like dash we all do, you know the type, meant only for short distances 'cos it's too uncomfortable to maintain. I also can't stand having to do that 'will he or won't he' pose for a sprint start in anticipation of the light changing, edging towards the start of the crossing thinking that I 'may just get away with it' despite that fact that the waiting drivers are gunning their engines in equal anticipation... I just don't need that stress of a decision.

I think the experience of being done for speeding has had an influence (albeit a couple of years ago), that 'grounding' effect it had has crossed over into a lot of things I do. Instead, now what I do is when I'm approaching a pedestrian crossing and the lights are on red, I slow down... and if they are still red when I arrive at the crossing, I wait. Even if others around me are dashing across I still wait. Then, when the lights change I press the button and patiently wait for the next change to red. When that happens I cross with a clear conscience.

Dear reader you should try it sometime instead of dashing headlong into the road, it may just save you a serious injury.