Wednesday 11 March 2015

Apple Watch - the story so far...


So Apple announced more details on their new watches this week and the press immediately fell on the poor battery performance. Apparently you can get a good 14 hours out of it provided you do absolutely nothing with it except treat it as a watch (which in the 21st century is completely outrageous). However if you listen to music, do all your social media stuff, makes calls, send texts etc. you'll get four hours at best… then you have to plug in the magnetic charger and leave it for an hour-and-a-half to get at least an 80% charge.

Sounds pretty rubbish to be honest and not something people will be used to when it comes to using watches. I mean, lets face it, probably 99% of the world have watches that last several years on one battery, so tweaking their lifestyle choices to include charging their watches every night would sound a bit much for some people. That is an area of the watch's design that Apple really need to improve for the next version.

As for me, I don't think it will be a problem, the Apple Watch's battery performance falls into two categories - a gadget-centric working lifestyle and a heavy social lifestyle.

I have neither, whilst I use a lot of technology at work, none of it relies on the features the Apple Watch has and I'm lucky if I get one text or e-mail off the few friends I have as pretty much all of them are married off and have families so I only see them in the pub occasionally, which negates the need to use the Apple Watch for much more than gaze at the clock to check when the bar closes.

So I'm confident I'd get at least two days' use before I'd have to charge it.

Having said that, Apple's new MacBook looks awesome, but I can't afford both!